White Mountain Waterfalls
This list will eventually be a fairly complete list of waterfalls in the White Mountains
of New Hampshire. The entries in this list are brief, but the links take you to my full
description of each of the falls (at least for the falls I've visited). Many of these
falls I have not yet visited, but hope to do so eventually.
There are many waterfalls in the White Mountains. Some are roadside attractions while
others require a significant amount of hiking to reach. If you are interested in looking
at waterfalls while in the White Mountains, then I strongly suggest picking up a copy of
Waterfalls of the White Mountains
by Bruce and Doreen Bolnick. It is an excellent book on the subject.
The starting point for this list was sent to me by Brad Charbonneau. I've edited his list
and added to it. There are still many more falls to add.
- Agassiz Basin, beside route 112, E. of Jct of Rts 112 and 118.
- Lower Ammonoosuc Falls, Off Rt 302 between Twin Mt and Fabyan.
- Upper Ammonoosuc Falls, beside the road, Fabyan to Cog RR base station.
- Arethusa Falls, 1.5 mile path S. of Willey House site in
Crawford Notch. The highest in New England.
- Baker River, NE of Warren within view of Rt 118.
- The Basin, at Franconia Notch, north of the Flume (called "the
old man's foot basin").
- Beaver Brook Cascades, Rt 112 in Kinsman Notch. 1000
vertical feet of cascades along a steep, rough trail.
- Beaver Brook Falls, Rt 145 between Colebrook and Stewartstown Hollow.
- Beede or Bearcamp Falls, 20', 0.3miles up Sandwich Notch Road from Center
- Bemis Brook Falls and Coliseum
Falls in Crawford Notch State Park. Along the trail to Arethusa Falls.
- Bridal Veil Falls, Coppermine Trail off route 116 in
Franconia. 80' high.
- Cascade Brook. A fascinating stream a short hike from The Basin.
- Champney Falls, minutes from Conway off Kancamagus Highway.
- Crystal Cascade, 0.3mile trail from Pinkham Notch Camp of AMC.
- Diana's Bath, West Side Rd, North Conway.
- Dixville Notch, E. of Dixville Notch on Rt 26.
- Falling Waters Trail, opposite Lafayette Campground in Franconia Notch (5 falls).
- Flume Cascade and Silver
Cascade, N or Rt 302 in Crawford Notch.
- Flume Gorge, beside Rt 3 in Franconia notch, 5 miles N of Lincoln.
- Giant Falls. Along the Peabody Brook Trail in Shelburne.
- Glen Ellis Falls, 65' high. Rt 16 in Pinkham Notch.
- Jackson Falls, center of Jackson Village beside Carter Notch Rd.
- Kinsman Falls in Franconia Notch. A short hike from The Basin.
- Lost River, Kinsman Notch, 7 miles W. of North Woodstock on Rt 112.
- Lower Falls, on the Kancamagus Hwy, near road between Conway and Passaconway.
- Nancy Cascade, about 1.5 miles in from Rt 302 S. of Crawford
- Ripley Falls, 100' on Rt 302, Crawford Notch, take Ethan Pond
Trail (very pretty).
- Rocky Gorge, further W. than Lower Falls on Kancamagus Hwy.
- Sabbaday Falls, on Kancamagus Hwy, W of Passaconaway Campground.
- Screw Auger Falls, in Grafton Notch. 10 miles north of
- Swiftwater, Rt 112 just S. of jct. 112 and 302 near Bath.
- Thompson's Falls and Emerald Pool, 1.5 miles S. of Pinkham Notch Camp.
- Zealand Falls take Zealand falls trail (several waterfalls along this trail) see AMC
guide for info.
Return to the list of waterfalls.
Copyright 2002 by Peter Chapin.
Last Revised: April 1, 2002